Welcome to 3RS!
Welcome to 3RS' home page. Mrs Ruffle and Mrs Smith are our class teachers, Mrs Emerton is our teaching assistant and Mrs Crispim also works in our class.
We hope you enjoy looking at our class page which we will update regularly with information and pictures of the exciting things we have been learning about in Year 3.
Some useful information:
- Home Learning will be sent home on Friday and completed books will need to be returned the following Wednesday in order for books to be marked and new homework to set.
- Our recorder lesson is on Mondays.
- Times tables are tested on Tuesday.
- Spellings will be sent home on Friday and tested the following Thursday. The spellings will alternate between words chosen from the Common Exception word list, spelling investigations focusing on a particular sound and topic words.
- Reading books are changed and sent home on a Friday. They need to be returned the following week with two signed entries.
- PE is on Wednesday (Indoor)and Friday (Outdoor).
Thank you for your ongoing support. If you have any questions, please feel free to come and chat to us.
World Book Day!
The children loved making their lava lamps today.
We found out that oil and water don't mix - in fact the oil floated on top of the water because it is less dense. When we added the fizzy tablets we saw bubbles of gas rising to the top and then popping. Can you see this in the videos?
We found out that this gas is carbon dioxide and the water droplets stuck to the gas bubbles and travelled to the top with them. When the gas bubbles pop, the water droplets travel back down to the bottom.
Once the mixture has settled down and separated, you can do it all over again!
We discovered that in the Iron Age people used looms to weave cloth.
We had a go at weaving ourselves - have a look at our creations.
3RS are working so hard with their French and doing really well! We are confident saying numbers to 10 and are now working on numbers up to 20 and beyond. The children really enjoy playing number games to practise these. We can also describe different types of weather. We have been practising greeting each other in French. We can ask our Learning Partner what their name is, how they are and say hello and goodbye. Some of us even tried having conversations with a French visitor last week. Have a listen to our conversations and see if you can hear any French names.
What a busy half term we have had in Year 3.
We have all (teachers included) loved learning about the Stone Age. We looked at different types of sources we can use to find out about the past and which are the most useful and reliable.
We read the story 'Stone Age Boy' and used this as a starting point for our own story writing.
3RS especially liked looking at the Stone Age 'artefacts' and discussing how they may have been used and what for. See the photos below.
EXPERIMENTING WITH CLAY
Before we designed our own clay pots in the style of the Beaker People, we experimented using a variety of tools to make different marks, patterns and textures in the clay. We also practised joining clay together using scoring and adding slip.
We will add photos of our finished pots soon.
SHARING OUR STONE AGE HOME LEARNING