St. Walburga’s School is a two form entry Catholic Voluntary Aided Primary School situated in the area of Moordown in Bournemouth. There has been a St. Walburga’s Catholic School in Bournemouth since 1877, initially for children of both primary and secondary age. In 1929 the school moved to new premises in Malvern Road. With the opening of a new Catholic secondary school in 1962 St. Walburga’s was reborn as a primary school. Since its beginning in 1877 the number of children attending the school has grown. We now have 480 children on roll, however despite its large size one of the school’s strengths is its family atmosphere.
The school buildings currently consist of 16 classrooms, an Assembly Hall/Gym, one Computing Suite, Food Technology area, Junior and Infant Libraries, and Music Room together with offices and staffroom. The school has two playgrounds, one for the Infants and one for the Juniors. The Junior playground also contains a purpose built multi games area. In the grounds there is also a Wildlife Area and Pond.
The Headteacher and staff have always sought high standards of behaviour and achievement in a caring Catholic ambience. At present there are sixteen classes in the school - 6 infant and 10 junior. Classes are grouped according to age and are of mixed ability. Children are seen as individuals, each with their own needs. Each teacher is conscious of the need to provide work to suit the differing abilities of the children.
The number of pupils on roll at the beginning of the Autumn Term 2017 was 480. Current yearly intakes are 60. On leaving St. Walburga’s the majority of pupils transfer to St. Peter’s Catholic Secondary School in Bournemouth.
The majority of the children come from the Parish of the Annunciation and St. Edmund Campion. The school strives to maintain close links with all our parish communities. Parents and parishioners are always welcome in the school and many give the teachers assistance in the classroom.